Rockin' Chair Gospel

Rockin' Chair Gospel
Click on picture to go my page Heart Designs.

My Pages

Friday, June 29, 2018

The Tithe That Ties




 Let’s talk about the misused book of Malachi for a bit...
In Malachi 3:7-11 we find, “(7) Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. (9) Ye (are) cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, (even) this whole nation. (10) Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that (there shall) not (be room) enough (to receive it). (11) And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.” 


Around 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. every Sunday morning, someone, somewhere, in each of thousands of churches, reads this passage as they prepare to take the offering. There it is, folks, right there in our faces for all those guilty God-robbers! “It’s time to stop robbing God;
fork it over to us so God can bless you and rebuke the devourer.” Countless guilt-ridden church attendees look down and hide their eyes, squirm nervously in their pews, and think about the times they fudged on paying God ten percent on their business or paycheck, or maybe they
just plain forgot something and now God is going to say, “Gotcha!” A few tears of guilt are shed, “Oh, God, so that’s why my dog died, why I got fired, and our son broke his arm! Forgive me!” Some think of their past robbery of the tithe and think they will never be forgiven for the years of
this crime they can never repay. Others sit back smugly, feeling free and a little holier than thou because they put n the whole paycheck tithe and look around the room smiling, adding to the torment of the guilty. They give their halos a little rub to make them shine a bit brighter,knowing all is well.


To add insult to injury, tithing puts you under a curse for adding to the New Testament scripture which neither God nor the apostles ever commanded Christians to do. Have you ever heard of a tither getting sick, having problems with his children, borrowing money, losing their home, suffering pain or affliction? Those are some of the things mentioned in the “curse” that Malachi wrote about, and also Paul in Galatians.

 “I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ (13) And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ (14) I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other;” (Luke 18:12 NKJV)

With few exceptions, offerings are mentioned in he New Testament scriptures in reference to the offerings defined by God from back under the Old Testament Law which is done away in Christ.
Let’s see what a search of the New Testament church yields in regard to what the church practices. We find “collection” and “collections” mentioned ONE time in Corinthians chapter 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I gave order to the churches of Galatia, so also do ye. (2) Upon the first day of the week let each one of you lay by him in store, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come. The word “giving” is found 26 times in the New Testament and only once in the letters to the Church:  “And ye yourselves also know, ye Philippians, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church had fellowship with me in the matter of giving and receiving but ye only;” (Philippians 4:15) this matter Paul spoke of was relating to his needs being met.  He was in prison and prisoners were supplied by friends and family. “Gift”: 2nd Corinthians 1:11 “ye also helping together on our behalf by your supplication; that, for the gift bestowed upon us by means of many, thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf.” And to the Philippians, Philippians 4:17 “Not that I seek for the gift; but I seek for the fruit that increaseth to your account.” The word “give” is used many, many times (176 times) in the entire NT, but never in a context of a weekly church collection. The one collection mentioned was for giving TO the saints at Jerusalem. However, there are many, many exhortations and reminders to meet the needs of others such as illustrated by these passages:  “As it is written, He hath scattered abroad, he hath given to the poor; His righteousness abideth for ever.” (2nd Corinthians 9:9) “Only they would that we should remember the poor; which very thing I was also zealous to do.” (Galatians 2:10)  “For it hath been the good pleasure of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor among the saints that are at Jerusalem.” (Romans 15:26)

Acts 2:45 says, “and they sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all, according as any man had need. Acts 4:35.. “and laid them at the apostles’ feet: and distribution was made unto each, according as any one had need.” Philippians 4:16 “for even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my need.” 1 John 3:17 “But whoso hath the world’s goods, and beholdeth his brother in need,  and shutteth up his compassion from him, how doth the love of God abide in him?” Acts 20:35.. “In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring ye ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.” And let’s throw in a (Proverb 28:27) “He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack; But he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse.”

Did Jesus teach His disciples to gather, collect, and take up offerings for themselves?
(Matthew 25:35) “for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in; (36) naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.” To whom was He referring? “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.”

The way it works in church today is the building, organization, and many of the ministers are taking what the Lord intended for the needs of others for their own benefit.  And the typical church member participates with a nice, comfortable building to go to once or twice a week for great music and a sermon from a hired messenger. 

This passage caught my attention and is very convicting for us former church-goers that were trained to feed the offering plate instead of God’s people. Let’s rethink where those offerings are to go while we are at it.  Jesus said in the strongest of terms: (Please read these verses with care and ask yourself, Did HE really mean what he said here?) Matthew 25:37 “Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink? ... (41) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels: (42) for I was hungry, and ye did not give me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink; (43) I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not; sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. (44) Then shall they also answer, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? (45) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not unto one of these least, ye did it not unto me. (46) And these shall go away into eternal punishment:  but the righteous into eternal life.” Did you know there is a CURSE for giving to a rich man, even if he calls himself “Reverend” or “Pastor”? (Proverbs 22:16) “He that oppresseth the poor to increase his gain, And he that giveth to the rich, shall come only to want.” 
Do we see a pattern of scripture manipulation?

As I searched the concordance for tithe, I found Paul, Peter, and John, those King James guys and other translators, just plain forgot to put that tithe in any of the Church letters or tell it to the preachers! Imagine that!

“Don’t worry; ole Abraham tithed before the Law and anyway, since God owns it all, let’s just go ahead and use ole Abe as an example for a place to start giving,” says the  ordained-Bible college-degree-toting-fella packing Biblical heat. “You wanna’ keep your place in the church, right? So giving me your tithe is an act of worship, understand?” “Let’s worship God in our giving this morning." Yeah right! 

Oh, but we’re under grace now, right?  So why do we quote Malachi and Leviticus regarding tithing and the laws and ordinances given to Old Testament Israel?

You see, somewhere, someone figured out they would zero in on the ten percent tithe, change it, apply it to the Church, and religion grabbed it and ran with it. Tradition institutionalized it and the average Christian obeyed their leadership and paid, even though it was never God’s
command to the New Testament Church. Again....tithing IS NOT for the New Testament Church! 

The truth is, every time Malachi 3 is quoted to the Church about tithing, we are guilty of reviving the Law, which, thank God, has been fulfilled by Christ. Thank You Jesus! 

So, from where does the practical support for apostles, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and prophets come? In one example, those whom Jesus sent went out with these instructions in Mark 6:8, “and he charged them that they should take nothing for (their) journey, save a staff only; no
bread, no wallet, no money in their purse.” Here we see the Lord’s messengers sent with a promise of divine provision.  Could it be that those truly sent by God will receive their provision without tithes and church salaries, merely by God speaking to others who are led of God to supply them? Could this be the case and example of the many ministers of God, both Old and New Testament, where they were provided for in their full-time, working-for-God ministry?

It is mainly pastors who take tithes from the people, but the Bible speaks of the Church having a five-fold ministry (apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers, pastors) and the Biblical record never speaks of New Testament church ministries receiving tithes! Could it be the disciples of Jesus Christ lived by faith, or worked, and God provided for them without salaries and tithes? Did Jesus receive tithes? Did Paul instruct Timothy, Phillip, or Titus to take tithes? Scripture verse, please?

 If Paul was as concerned as our modern church institution about the blessing of God upon the Corinthians, why didn’t he quote Malachi to them and tell them about the blessing of tithing, or encourage them to imitate Abraham’s tithe? 

 Neither the Apostle Paul nor any other New Testament writer even once recommended or authorized tithing to any church or saint. In fact, Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:18, “When I preach the gospel, I make the gospel of Christ without charge.” The word charge means expense according to Strong’s. Note this passage from 2 Thessalonians 3:7-9, “…we were not idle when we were with you, we did not eat anyone’s bread without paying, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you. It was not because we have not that right, but to give you in that conduct an example to imitate.”  An example to imitate...to do as I do.  Hmmmm

 In this case, Paul worked to set an example for the whole Church, including the pastors, prophets, and teachers so as not to burden the churches he ministered in, unlike the many
high-priced evangelists and ministers who expect a generous offering (i.e., wage) for a weekend revival or Sunday service.  “Freely you received, freely give.”

This religious system around us easily becomes a snare to those called of God, turning them
into hirelings, caring more for their own pockets then for the sheep God gave them to shepherd.

Under the Old Testament, the Levites, synagogues, and temple were where the tithes and offerings were commanded to be sent under the Law. The early church still met in the shadow of the Jerusalem temple while it was yet standing. The pastors, teachers, prophets, evangelists, and apostles either worked or lived strictly by faith and God’s provision as the Holy Spirit directed, or from the heartfelt gifts of the saints. Where is any New Testament account of the ministry living from the tithe? Scripture verse, please. 

The Levite priests received a command under the Old Testament Law to take tithes from the people, as in Hebrews 7:5. “And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law.” But do any of the New Testament five-fold ministry have a similar command to take tithes of the people? Not in my Bible, nor in yours. The priesthood was changed according to the Scripture and the ministers who teach tithing do not hold the Levitical office. And here’s a shocker...Jesus couldn’t collect tithes (according to the Law) if He wanted to.  Only those from the tribe of Levi were authorized to collect tithes and Jesus was from the tribe of Judah (meaning praise/worship).  That tells me He’s more interested in my worship then my money.  

There is 1 Corinthians 9:14, stating, “the Lord has ordained that they that preach the gospel should live of the gospel,” but not one mention of tithe. Paul quoted the Old Testament in 1 Timothy 5:18, “For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The laborer is worthy of his reward.” But there is no mention of a tithe.  God never ordained New Testament preachers/pastors to take tithes.

It bothers me that Churches will fund raise and set a goal of $25,000 for video equipment while individual members, single moms, and the elderly barely get by. Is something out of focus here?

As a result of this ungodly act, there is an uncounted army of Christians who will not set foot in a church building, or who live a cycle of church-hopping, or who now simply reject churchianity. 

 And that my beloved grieves Holy Spirit and me. I know I’m sick and tired of going to church and having the pastor tell me I’m cursed if I don’t pay tithes.  Beloved..God’s gifts and blessings are not for sale! He blesses me because He loves me and because I’m His child. And yes, He blesses me and has met my needs always (a few times supernaturally). 

In His love,
Elizabeth

*post note
Do not think that I’m on this band wagon alone.  As I was surfing the information highway I found many who believe as I do. Reckon Holy Spirit is opening eyes?  And if you don’t agree, that’s alright...just scroll on by or unfriend me, your choice BUT I will not argue so don’t even go there.  You can argue till you’re blue in the face or till Jesus returns and I will not change my mind so don’t waste your time or mine. 

 And don’t think for one minute I don’t believe in giving...I DO but not 10% or any percent.  I believe that Holy Spirit will put it on your heart what to give and it may even be more then 10%.  I believe when you trust in tithes, you’re trusting in man.  Let me tell you a little story right quick.  I went to this little church and the pastor never preached on money, in fact he said he could not find it anywhere in the Bible where Jesus ever passed an offering plate.  But back to my story...he had a little basket at the back of the room and the congregation gave as Holy Spirit put it on their hearts. And that little church paid their bills, supported their missionary and had money in the bank. Why? Because they trusted and believed in God not man and He didn’t let them down.  He will never let you down when you put your trust in Him!  I’ve often said, “if it’s God’s deal, it’s God’s bill.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you see....tell others.
If not....tell me.

Comments welcome but please be nice. *smile*