Rockin' Chair Gospel

Rockin' Chair Gospel
Click on picture to go my page Heart Designs.

My Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Don't Mess With My Sacred Cow

Well, I’m fixin’ to open a can of worms, step on some religious toes, throw some rocks at some hornets nests or all three. *laughing*
During my timeout from Facebook, I’ve been wondering and pondering. “Rut Roh, here we go!” *smile* I was talking to God about some things today and one of the things I talked to Him about is the misquoted scripture everybody keeps trying to shove down my throat..."Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." I saw the truth of Hebrews 10:25 some time ago. But I looked the other way. I convinced myself that I had to be wrong since everyone else it seemed believed otherwise, that this verse (despite what the Greek clearly says) meant that we are not to forsake “going to church.” And, particularly since there is no other scripture that says we are to go to church, it’s a fearful thing to give up the “sacred cow” of Hebrews 10:25. (Collins English Dictionary defines a “sacred cow” as “a person, institution, custom, etc, unreasonably held to be beyond criticism.” ) Nevertheless, all through those years, in the back of my mind, I knew full well that Hebrews 10:25 doesn’t address going to church at all especially since there were no churches back then. This verse addresses something altogether different.
What I intend to do here is give my honest opinion of this verse, just as I would any other. I would encourage you to read the whole of Hebrews 10 to get the context, but I will begin with verse 23: “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised).” I won’t bother you with the details, but I will point out here that the word “faith” in the King James Version should really be “hope.” The Greek word is elpidos, and in every other place where it appears in the New Testament, it is translated as “hope.” So, this is talking about not wavering concerning our hope that our faithful God has promised. What is this hope? Certainly, there are many things for which we hope. But the scriptures often refer to our ‘hope’ as the resurrection from the dead and our glorification at the return of Jesus Christ. In Acts 23:6, Paul refers to “the hope and resurrection of the dead.” Again, in Acts 24:15, Paul says that he has “hope toward God, which they themselves (the Pharisees) also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.” This same hope is what he refers to in Acts 26:6 and 28:20. In Romans 5:2, Paul writes of the “hope of the glory of God.” This is not referring to God’s essential glory, but to something we hope for in the future. That is, this is a reference to our hope in the glory that God will bestow upon us (see also Ephesians 1:18).
The evidence from both the context and the words used is heavy. It clearly leads us to the conclusion that Hebrews 10:25 is saying that we are not to forsake the hope of our gathering to Christ at His return, as some had done, but instead we are to exhort one another concerning this hope, and we are to do this all the more as we see the day of His return approaching.
Hebrews 10:25 has been used to try to convince (brainwash)people that they must not forsake going to church. In fact, it is the only scripture in the New Testament that could remotely have been used in such a way. But it is wrong to use it this way. The Greek and the context simply do not support it, and when we understand the true meaning of Hebrews 10:25, the entire idea of “going to church” as something we must do entirely falls apart.
The bible also tells us we are the Church and our bodies are temples. And while I’m on a roll I often hear the words “Be sure to go to God’s House this Sunday”. Ding wrong again... my bible tells me God has no ‘house’. Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head." Matthew 8:20 The only place He lives today is in our heart!
In closing let me say this....church does not save you. All the do’s and don’ts of doctrines made by man will not save you. Only one thing can save you and that my friends is the blood of Jesus Christ. There is no other way!
So what does God require of me....."Would the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I present my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has shown you, O mankind, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you but to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?”
Closing thought....Jesus has only asked me to do two things...love Him and love those He loves.
In His love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you see....tell others.
If not....tell me.

Comments welcome but please be nice. *smile*